Malocclusion is one of the most common oral issues that has affected the self-confidence of millions of people. Misaligned teeth often lead to embarrassment when you socialize with people as it can become a topic of mocking. Understandably enough, malocclusion is known to lead to mental depression as well.
The cause of malocclusion varies for each individual. Some of the common causes are heredity, external trauma, faulty oral appliances, bruxism, loss of teeth, and problems with the shape and positioning of the jaws. Whatever the cause may be, getting malocclusion treated at the earliest is essential to avoid the complications that it can cause in the future.
Why is treating malocclusion essential?
- Malocclusion, when left untreated for long, can alter the facial shape to a large extent. The teeth move with time due to the stresses applied to them, which can change the shape of the jaws and the face as a whole.
- Cleaning the teeth can become increasingly difficult when the teeth aren't aligned properly. A lot of microbes tend to get stuck in between the teeth as the bristles of the toothbrush wouldn't be able to remove them effectively. This can further lead to plaque and tartar accumulation, which then cause cavities.
- Malocclusion can apply unequal pressure on the teeth, which can cause jawbone deterioration.
- Perhaps, the biggest drawback of all, they leave a nasty appearance on a person's smile. People with malocclusion usually feel too conscious when they talk or smile at social gatherings.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner that is made from a clear dental-grade plastic material. It stays under disguise when you put it on, allowing you to flaunt a beautiful smile even in the middle of your orthodontic treatment. Moreover, it is removable, meaning it can be taken off whenever you have to brush your teeth, eat food, have a drink, etc. You wouldn't have these luxuries when you have traditional metal braces on!
Why should you choose Invisalign?
- Invisalign stays under disguise as it is made from a transparent plastic material. Anyone who looks at your smile or talk wouldn't be able to notice that you're wearing an aligner. However, they aren't entirely invisible, and anyone who takes a closer look would be able to spot them.
- The technology backing Invisalign is a highly advanced one. We would be able to track and predict the movement of the teeth accurately during the treatment period. In fact, the technology is so incredible that the software would create a digital model of how your teeth alignment is at present and how it would look after the treatment period.
- The aligners are completely metal-free, unlike dental braces. This reduces the chances of sustaining an oral injury when the aligners press against the soft tissues of the mouth as there are no pointy ends, wires, or brackets.
- The aligners are custom-fabricated according to the individual's condition. This makes them fit comfortably on the teeth.
- Invisalign doesn't require too many follow-up visits to the dentist's office.
Each aligner given by the dentist will have to be worn almost the whole day. The aligners will have to be replaced by a new set once every two weeks to compensate for the teeth' movement. They can only be removed when you have to eat food or brush teeth and have to be worn during sleep too.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (503) 574-4000 to have a consultation with Dr. Sepehri, and we will be happy to help.