Dental restorations are quite useful when it comes to restoring the strength, functionality, and aesthetics of the teeth. Out of all the available dental restorations, porcelain crowns and veneers are perhaps the most widely used ones, thanks to their versatility and simple nature. They can be used to bring about changes in the contour and structure of the teeth, as well as their appearance.
What are dental crowns?
Crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that are hollow on the inside. They are custom-fabricated to fit perfectly on teeth that are broken, chipped, cracked, too weak, or severely worn out. They are usually made from dental-grade ceramic, which is tooth-colored and highly customizable. They cover a tooth entirely and hold it intact, thereby protecting a severely damaged tooth.
How are veneers different from crowns?
Though veneers are made from dental-grade ceramic and resemble the shape of a tooth, they are different from crowns in terms of thickness. Veneers are wafer-thin and are bonded to the frontal surface of the teeth using dental adhesives. They are primarily used to make cosmetic changes, such as restoring teeth that are worn out, excessively spaced, severely discolored, cracked, chipped, etc.
Why choose crowns and veneers?
- Crowns and veneers are made from ceramic, which is a strong and highly durable material. It can resist regular wear, just like natural enamel.
- Since they are customized as per the patient’s requirement, they offer excellent fit and comfort. In fact, you wouldn’t feel the presence of restoration in your mouth when you go about your everyday activities.
- The procedure for placing crowns and veneers is quite simple. With CEREC technology in a dental practice, these restorations can be done in a single visit.
- They have an excellent lifespan. With optimum care, ceramic restorations like crowns and veneers last for several years without any hassle.
- They protect and support damaged teeth, thereby keeping them from getting extracted.
- Their color, texture, and contour can be matched with the natural teeth, which helps to keep them under disguise.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (503) 574-4000 to have a consultation with Dr. Sepehri, and we will be happy to help.