Why December Is the Perfect Month to Visit Your Dentist
Posted by PS DENTAL on Dec 8 2022, 08:28 AM
December is a month full of holiday parties, sweet treats, and high-fat meals. This can cause cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems.
Although it’s tempting to wait until the new year to take care of your dental health, it’s much better to visit your dentist in December than to wait until next year. Here are a few reasons why:
- You can get a head start on your New Year’s resolutions. If you haven’t been caring for your teeth as you should, you can get back on track with the help of the friendly team at our dental office!
- You can stop or reverse any early signs of tooth decay. Decayed teeth not only look bad, but they can also be very painful and lead to other oral health problems. Visit us as soon as you can so we can detect and treat the problem before it causes more pain.
- Cleanings help prevent gum disease and gingivitis. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among adults in the United States. Luckily, we can treat it with regular cleanings and checkups with our team.
- It’s the perfect way to cap off the holiday season. The holidays can be a lot of fun but also stressful for many people. Taking an hour out of your busy schedule for a checkup can help take your mind off of the holiday stress. Plus, you can have something to celebrate after your checkup with a delicious holiday beverage or two. Just make sure to limit yourself to one or two sugary beverages a day while you’re getting your smile back in order.
- It’s that time of year when we all start to be a little kinder to ourselves and indulge in some holiday treats. But while these indulgences might be fun at the moment, they can be seriously damaging to your dental health. That’s because cavities are created when plaque is left behind on your teeth for too long.
This can happen very quickly if you snack or eat sugary foods frequently. When sugar comes into contact with the bacteria in your mouth, which naturally live there, the pH level of the mouth gets thrown off balance, and it can erode tooth enamel. That can lead to tooth decay and even cavities. This is why it’s so important to visit your dentist for regular cleanings and exams all year long, but especially during the holiday season!
Remember that between your regular visits, it’s also vital that you practice good oral hygiene at home by brushing twice a day for two minutes at a time, flossing daily, rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash, eating a healthy diet low in sugar and acid, and avoiding tobacco products. These steps can help prevent cavities from forming in the first place.
PS Dental in Tigard, Oregon, offers the best dental care services to patients. For more details and appointments, call us at (503) 574-4000 or visit us at 12017 SW 70th Ave, Tigard, OR 97223.